High density orthotic for when a firmer shell is deemed essential
- Designed to incorporate the complete requirements of most foot orthoses prescriptions namely to reduce pronation moments*, encourage first ray propulsion and be comfortable
- The reduction moments are achieved by applying force medial to the STJA (Subtalar Joint Axis)
- The first ray groove in the shell of the appliance decreases the dorsiflexion moments on the first ray
- 3/4 length heat mouldable shell (The material used in the orthotic allows localised heating of the shell and easy shape change to ensure a comfortable and non-irritating fit)
- Full-length EVA top cover
Self-adhesive component kit includes:
- 2 x 2°, 4°, 6° rearfoot wedges
- 2 x 5mm heel lifts
- 2 x heel cushions
- 2 x full-length EVA top covers
Patients who would benefit from a Unified orthotic includes those with:
- Pronation related symptoms/gait dysfunction, even those with a large amount of pronation and a medial STJ axis requiring a MOSI.
- Supination related symptoms/gait dysfunction.
- Functional limitation of the 1st MTPJ due to either pronation and/or dorsiflexion of the first ray.
Patients who should not be prescribed the Unified orthotic include:
- Stage 2 and above structural hallux limitus. Encouraging the use of the 1st MTPJ in these patients may worsen symptoms.
- Pressure related injury or lesion sub the 1st MTPJ. E.g. ulcers sub the 1st MTPJ.
- Those with possible adverse effects to improved use of the 1st MTPJ in gait, e.g. those with painful limitation to hip extension such a labral tears may extend their hip further in gait with improved 1st MTPJ function.